CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 30, 2009

Clean Laundry!!!

I have heard about a homemade soap last Spring.
but did not think about trying it until someone else did!
I wanted to see how hard it was to make & how it cleaned.
Boy was I surprised...
the main recipe calls for a 5 gallon bucket.
I opted for 1/4 that.
mainly I didn't have room for something that size, that you have to refill a bottle once a month or so. I found an old bucket that had a lid.
I am glad I did 1/4 the stuff I have no idea how you would stir a 5 gallon bucket & make it smooth!...

this is the recipe for a 5 gallon bucket & how far it is suggested that it will go-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


*Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap- Front or top load machine- best value

- 4 Cups hot tap water

- 1 Fels-Naptha soap bar

- 1 Cup Washing Soda

- ½ Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over
medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing
soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top
with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

- To make it easy to use, pour it in to an old laundry detergent container.

-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once
soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 5 gallons.

-Top Load Machine- 1/4 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)

-Front Load Machines- 1/8 Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


as I said I did 1/4 this. it will almost make it 3 months for a family of 6.



I also added 2 Tablespoons of Tang.
2 reasons, 1 to color it so I could tell when it was fully mixed, & 2 Tang can be added to cleaners to help crisp the colors. it sounds weird but it works.


I use 2 Tablespoons of this detergent where I have a Top Load Washer.
I found that this is just enough for me. I would suggest that you do a load of Towels & see what works for you!


I also started using 1/4 C Vinegar instead of Fabric softener, it does not dull the colors & it makes everything Soft & non-staticy!


between the Homemade Laundry Soap & the Vinegar our clothes are nice & soft & they smell Summer Fresh. =)

2 comments:

candybeans said...

DeAnna you freakin' rock! I love that you did that!

~De Anna~ said...

Thanks Candy. I have been using this stuff since early October. & I like it. it washes well. plus if you have something a little ground in rinse it & use the Fels-Naptha it works better than stain stick & WAY cheaper & it last a VERY long time!